Consoled and coaxed his parishioners to accept change when mining subsidence ruined the Pugin Church and Presbytery. The Pugin Church and presbytery were demolished and the new church erected. During this time parish affairs were conducted from a crampted terrace house shared with both a curate and housekeeper.
Saw the closing of St Gregory’s secondary school and the opening of the new Bishop Bright Comprehensive school in Longton Hall Road.
The Infant and Junior Schools were extended.
After all debts were cleared the new church was concecrated.
Served 2400 souls without a curate.
Walked in procession behind Pope John Paul 11 who visited Coventry
Terence Brain - Born in Coventry in 1938 he was taught by Canon Grady at Cotton College and following his ordination at the age of 25 years he was appointed to St Gregory’s. He left to teach at Oscott College and later as Monsignor.
1982-1988 - parish priest of St Maria Goretti, Bentilee & Chair of governors at St Thomas More High School.
1991 - Auxiliary Bishop of Birmingham
1997 - Bishop of Salford.
Terence Luxon - A native of Canning Town, London, Terence was born in 1941 and ordained in 1967.
Due to the tremendous support that he gave to Fr Donnelly during the rebuilding of the Church the two developed a ‘father and son’ relationship. Longton parishioners had a great affection for him. In 1986 because of ill health Terence was sent to a small parish in Warwickshire and died in 1998 aged 57.
Thomas Cohburn went to be parish priest of St Giles church, Cheadle.